Re: computers, tire sizes and errors?

From: andy levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Dec 17 2002 - 23:08:33 EST

Bill Pitz wrote:

> At 02:25 PM 12/17/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>
>> Planning to go from 31 inch tires to 32 inch tires and was wondering if
>> anyone could tell me if I will need to and/or be able to re-program the
>> computer to read speed and count milage correctly?
>

> Ask your dealer. They can usually re-calibrate the computer relatively
> inexpensively and it will save you a lot of headaches down the road.
>
> -Bill

The dealer can only adjust the PCM to one of the tire sizes that was
available in that truck. There's a table in the PCM with the number of
rear axle (tire) rotations per mile to use to calculate everything, and
the dealer basically flips a "pointer" to the right entry. I think it's
4 or 5 choices in most years. And 32" isn't one of the options.

sigh....Ron Wong always had this one nailed every time the question was
posted.