2005 Neon Design

From: Saint (saint1958@cox.net)
Date: Sat Dec 21 2002 - 16:24:20 EST

Not.....not even close. Check out the Java Concept and you will find some
resemblance to the next Neon Compact. It will be a joint venture between DC
and Mitsu sharing the same 'P' Platform not the M-80.

<SNIP>The replacement for the current Neon is also slated as an early 2005
(probably January of 2004) launch. The next Neon was originally going to be
built on the 3rd generation of Chrysler's P-platform, after the Daimler
takeover it was decided that the Neon will instead be based on the new
Mitsubishi Lancer platform. Mitsu will also provide the power train. The
body and interior are being developed by the Chrysler Group.
This isn't an unprecedented move, as both the Dodge Stealth and Eagle Talon,
first generation Avenger and Sebring and the current Stratus and Sebring
coupes were developed jointly with Mitsubishi. While details are sketchy,
one thing we know for sure is that the next generation Chrysler compact will
not be called Neon. The Buzz is that both a four-door sedan and a hatchback
model are currently under development.
The plan is to make the next Neon a true International model. The all new
compact will be sold under the Mitsubishi brand in Asia and the Chrysler and
Dodge brands in North America. In Europe it will probably continue as a
Chrysler (though it may be sold as a Mitsubishi instead).
I've also heard Buzz that some of the engineering and design work done for
the Chrysler Java is being used in this program. As you probably recall, the
Java was a sub compact concept car that was a preview of a vehicle that
Chrysler was developing for the European market before the takeover. It was
shelved due to possible overlap with the Mercedes Benz A-Class and Smart
car. But before the axe fell Chrysler had spent a fair amount of development
dollars on the project
The Buzz is that Chrysler is doing some recycling and melding the Java
development program into the Mitsubishi/Chrysler Neon program. The move
would certainly make sense to the Chrysler brass in this era of corporate
belt tightening. I'd say there's a good chance that the next Neon will have
a resemblance to the Java (above).<SNIP>

Steven St.Laurent
2003 Dodge Hemi 5.7 Ram Quad (15.6 sec @ 92 MPH)
2000 Dodge Dakota Hemi (Some idot hit the vehicle)
2000 Roush Ford TT-Mustang (1 of 2 beta vehicles)
1999 Chevy Astro (A.K.A. GM Junk)
1993 Geo Tracker (Amazing vehicle that keeps running)
PROJECT CAR:
1992 Suzuki Swift GT (1775lb) Intercooled Turbo - 350HP FY-03
Future Purchases:
2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10 with a V-10 (replace the Hemi)
2004/5 Dodge Hemi Durango (again for the wife)