RE: Traction devices for 4WD Dakotas

From: Neil W. Bellenger (neil624b@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Sun Dec 22 2002 - 15:17:01 EST

-----Original Message-----
 On Behalf Of andy levy
Sent: Sunday, December 22, 2002 12:37 PM
 Subject: Re: DML: Traction devices for 4WD Dakotas

You're already turning plenty. The hubs don't disengage like on most
vehicles; when the front tires are turning, so are the axles,
differential and prop shaft

Well said Andy,
I've been watching this thread to see if that point comes out.
4X Dakotas, from day one, have had no disconnecting front hubs, manual or
automatic; also no front axle disconnect, vacuum, electric or manual,
everything turns, all the time!
Other than occasional rear wheel spin, the front drive shaft has just as
many turns on it as the rear one.
Chrysler never bothered to design a disconnecting front hub for our trucks
or to make the axles compatible with the Rams so that after market parts
would fit. And no aftermarket supplier has seen fit to design and tool up
something that will replace the stock front spindles.
 This has been one of my biggest gripes; for every mile driven, the front
wheels are driving the front axles, front differential, and front drive
shaft. Too much wear and too much fuel burned when four wheel drive isn't
needed.
Theoretically there is no upper limit on the speed at which the transfer
case can be placed in 4 HI, since the front and rear drive shafts are always
running at the same speed. (more on that below) However, as Andy mentioned,
there is always a slight variation in rotational speeds due to slight tire
diameter differences and even a slight departure from driving an absolutely
straight line. At some point the transfer case or some other component will
"adjust" itself to relieve the strain.
For more excitement and grenaded parts, punch the throttle, break the rear
end loose, and then yank into 4 HI.
A guy I used to work with, driving a Nissan 4X, engaged the transfer case
while attempting to leave an intersection rapidly in snow. He was already
spinning the wheels; he got just what he deserved when the automatic front
hub on the driver's side blew up.