Re: Dakota's Corroded Wires

From: Mark (Mark1yourunderwear@teisprint.com)
Date: Fri Dec 27 2002 - 00:14:31 EST

It's called electrolysis. The reaction of dis-similar metals. It normally
happens in a fluid environment, but even humidity can be enough, especially
when you add heat. (what do you think happens when you drive in the rain,
steam rises) In your case, the energy needed to run the coil made it even
worse. You already have electron swapping going on in a conductor anyways,
then add what starts as a little corrosion, which then adds resistance,
which generates more heat. It's a death spiral. And yes, the wire is copper,
the terminal is normally stainless, fastened to a steel screw terminal on
the coil which normally has some sort of tin/zinc coating.

Mark