Re: Cleaning Heads and other questions (long)

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Dec 27 2002 - 14:24:01 EST

"Ken Allgood" <kenallgood@cox.net> wrote:

: Ok, so this isn't on the Dakota, but Dakota content is: This will help me
: when I work on my Dakota later on :-)

: I'm working on doing a top end rebuild on my 2.2L Probe (yeah yeah.. hey,
: it's junk and if I screw it up, oh well, take it to the junk yard.. this
: is my test bed for learning a little bit about engines). I got the Rocker
: Arm Cover off, and I have lots of grim under the Rocker Arm Shaft assemblies
: and around the Valve Springs.. So I'm definitely taking the head off to
: clean it up. First, I'm assuming it's best to remove the Valve Springs to
: get the head off and cleaned up good. The FSM says to use a Valve Spring
: Compressor to remove them. Is this a must and where would be a good place
: to get one? Things to be careful of when removing them? After that, what's
: a good solvent to use to clean the head up with and best way to do it? I do
: have a garage (finally!! woohoo!) that I'm working in, so good winter
: project for me.. The ultimate goal here looks like I'm going to have to
: replace the Valve Guide Seals (it burns a good bit of oil, particulary at
: startup)... Any other suggestions/tips would be appreciated as this is the
: first time I've really done this by myself. I've helped a friend before on
: replacing a head gasket, but been awhile.

   I'm not familiar with that particular head, but you can probably leave
the valve springs on when removing the head. You will probably need to
remove the rockers, but then the head should unbolt, and you can pull it
off the block. Once you've got the head on the bench, it'll be a lot
easier to remove the valve springs. Yes, you will need a special tool,
called a valve spring compressor. You can probably borrow one for free
at a local parts store. (Autozone, etc.) Usually you give them a
deposit, and they give you the tool. You get your money back when you
return the tool. You also have the option of never returning it, if you
want to keep it. The general procedure is to support the valve from
underneath the head (I use a wad of rolled up paper towels), put the
compressor on the valve, tighten it up to compress the valve, then
(if necessary) tap the top of the compressor with a hammer to break
the retainer free from the valve. I usually use a magnet to suck the
keepers off the valve, then you can remove the spring and retainer,
and drop the valve out through the bottom of the head.

  For a step by step procedure using the Autozone tool, go to
http://www.jonsteiger.com/barracuda, click on "Project Horsepower",
wait about 300 years for the pictures to load, then check out photos
046 through 049.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'