Re: Ticking noise in engine

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Mon Dec 30 2002 - 21:45:35 EST

At 07:57 PM 12/30/2002 -0600, you wrote:

> > Has anyone ever figured out what exactly makes that little tapping noise in
> > mose of the 3.9 motors?
>Timing chain tensioner. He said mose, but I think he meant nose.
>
>Mine rattles too.

Hmm.. Anybody had a problem like this with a 4.7? I had a ticking noise
that started about 20k miles. I took it into the dealer, and they found a
TSB about some sort of ground wire. The fix involved stripping off a small
bit of the insulation and reinstalling it. Believe it or not, that fixed
the problem -- for a while. Now the noise is back and it's worse than
before (last time, it was only audible when the motor was running steady
between ~2000-2500 rpms). Now it's audible pretty much all of the time, a
little bit worse when it's cold.

So, with that being said, anyone else had any problems like this? Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Bill