Platinum and the 4.7 WAS Re: blah blah

From: tkoth (tkoth@cox.net)
Date: Sun Jan 05 2003 - 16:45:16 EST

Ok... NOW we're gettin' somewhere. (I tagged the other
Bill's respnse on the end of this as well) . It looks like
the platinums can cause pre-ignition. While I don't feel I
have been experienceing this too much in my truck, I'll be
switching back to copper plugs soon.
Oh well.... it's been 3 years and 30-sumpthin thousand
miles.... I guess I'll be buying some 3923's this week.
(since I live in Phoenix I'll do them instead of the 3924's)
Thanks to everyone for bearing with me with my crazy
questions!!!

Tim
(just got in from installing new Bilstein shocks on my
baby!)

> Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 11:18:27 EST
> From: B1LLYW@aol.com
> Subject: Platinum and the 4.7 WAS Re: DML: Re: DML Digest
V5 #711

Time, tkoth@cox.net
> writes:
>
> <<< But what I want to know about
> is the source for the information that a couple people
> stated that platinum plugs are BAD for the 4.7. I need
> know more details rather than just a statment that they're
> bad for it. C'mon folks!!! Help me please!!!>>>
>
> From page 8I-20 of my 2002 FSM:
>
> "CAUTION: The 4.7L V-8 engine is equipped with copper core
ground electrode
> spark plugs. They must be replaced with the same
type/number spark plug as
> the original. If another spark plug is substituted,
pre-ignition will
> result."
>
> Now, this is pretty typical because they want you to buy
their plugs. But I
> think the fact that they specify that your truck comes
with a "copper core
> ground electrode" plugs is interesting. They could just
tell you to use the
> same plugs without getting into the detail of saying
"copper".

> My understanding is that the coil on plugs design provides
more consistent
> voltage than older systems. At least on the 4.7 however,
although it
> provides more consistant voltage, the coil on plug system
provides less
> voltage than a traditional coil system. And in fact,
doesn't provide enough
> voltage to fire the platinum plugs effectively. That's
why copper is
> recommended.
>
> Now I just heard something the other day that is
interesting. Supposedly,
> the Jeep 4.7 HO motors spec out a special platinum plug
that they come with.
> I wonder whether there are ignition improvements (better
coil packs, etc.) on
> those motors that could be swapped over to regular 4.7's.
>
> Bill White - http://www.bionicdodge.com
>
> '02 Dakota QC 4x4, SLT +, 4.7, 5 spd, 3.92 LSD
> '95 Dakota CC 4x2, SLT, 318, 5 spd, 3.55 LSD
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 08:50:35 -0800
> From: "Saint" <saint1958@cox.net>
> Subject: DML: RE: Re: RE: Street racing & Common sense or
lack there of.

> When they mean fast they mean fast. 80 MPH plus
>
> - ---------------------------------------------
> Steven St.Laurent
> 2003 Dodge Hemi 5.7 Ram Quad (15.6 sec @ 92 MPH)
> 2000 Dodge Dakota Hemi (Some idot hit the vehicle)
> 2000 Roush Ford TT-Mustang (1 of 2 beta vehicles)
> 1999 Chevy Astro (A.K.A. GM Junk)
> 1993 Geo Tracker (Amazing vehicle that keeps running)
> PROJECT CAR:
> 1992 Suzuki Swift GT (1775lb) Intercooled Turbo - 350HP
FY-03
> - --------------------------------------------------------
--------------------
> - ------------------
> Future Purchases:
> 2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10 with a V-10 (replace the Hemi)
> 2004/5 Dodge Hemi Durango (again for the wife)

Of Punch
> Sent: Saturday, January 04, 2003 9:13 PM
> To: dakota-truck-moderator@bent.twistedbits.net
> Subject: DML: Re: RE: Street racing & Common sense or lack
there of.

> ""Saint"" <saint1958@cox.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Damn....this means that everyone in the fast lane here
in California are