Question for snow plowers, 4wd in snow...

From: Jon (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 03:13:11 EST

   Finally got around to getting the plow back on the Ram.
I started to plow in 4lo but was really having some traction
problems. At one point I had dragged some snow back (downhill)
then lifted the plow tried to drive through it (uphill), but
it just spun. On a hunch, I popped it back up into 4hi and
walked right through it. I left it in 4hi and traction was
greatly improved over 4lo.

   The strange thing is that I have done a good amount of plowing
the past few years in 4lo, but I don't remember the traction
being that bad. Maybe I just never got myself into a situation
where I needed the extra traction before.

  Anybody have any theories as to why 4hi seems to be working
better than 4lo in the snow? Only thing I can think of is
although the tires are spinning slower, there is just too
much torque transmitted in 4lo? What range do you use for
plowing?

   Another plowing related question - does anybody who plows
use a tranny temp gauge? What sort of temp increases are you
seeing? I don't have a gauge on the Ram, I thought maybe the
next time I drop the pan I should think about installing one.

TTYL!

                                              -Jon-

 .---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------.
 | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL |
 | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly |