MPP swaybar [p4876544] on 96 DAk

From: M.Bryan Galloway (mbggt@msn.com)
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 13:15:45 EST

)
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 13:15:32 -0500

I have installed that swaybar in my '96 Sport. A few things to do/watch
for. You do have to drill the frame [no biggie]. I had a very badly
installed catback dual exhaust [previous owner, wire and a/c strap hangers],
so I had to re-install it correctly to fit the swaybar. The stock exhaust
may be the reason MPP sez the swaybar won't fit, but when I called them, the
guy I talked to didn't know why it wouldn't. The only other fit issue I
found was with the swaybar end links' attachment to the lower shock mount
brackets on the axle tubes. The "L" brackets attach to the outside of the
shock mounts using the shock mounting hardware. The [oversize] stock nut
and bolt head interfere with the end links. I replaced the hardware with
grade 8 bolt and nylock nut from the local farm and tractor supply [tight,
but everything fit]. About the swaybar kit itself: The swaybar is stout
[7/8"], the "L" brackets are substantial, and the end link bushings are
hard, black [poly, I think] and properly fit the swaybar [may be the poly
bushing set in the MPP catalog]. The end link bolts/nuts were spindly
[1/4-20], but it only took drilling the washers and removing the cutting
tool ridge on the spacers with 11/32" bit to replace them with grade 8
5/16-18 bolts/nuts. BTW the spacers were slightly different lengths, I
immediately cut one to match the other, but I think I acted in haste and the
long one was the better fit. I'm not sure it really makes much difference
to the function of the swaybar but I'm perfectionist [anal] enough to want
to get it "just right". Last but not least the swaybar bushings were small,
soft, rubber bits with wrap-around brackets. I replaced with Energy
Suspension greasable, poly bushings from local CarQuest. All in all, I paid
$75 for MPP kit [Mopartsconnection] and $25 for upgraded hardware.
Little hot rod truck handles great!!!

M.Bryan Galloway mbggt@msn.com

For any thinking person the name "Criminal Justice System" should
have been sufficient warning.
                                              L. Neil Smith