Re: RE: HELP!!!! Broke a body mount bolt!

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Jan 10 2003 - 22:05:45 EST

"RayB" <bpracing@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

: Ouch, I feel your pain. :-( They just shouldn't have been that tight as my
: FSM calls for only 65 ft. lbs and mine came out real easy when I switched to
: polyurethane bushings. My only suggestions along with the drilling is lots
: of WD40 or PB Blaster.

    Yep, one of my least favorite things to do. :-( Definitely soak
and soak and soak it with the PB Blaster. (Try to get the actual stuff
called "PB Blaster" as it seems to work much better than WD40.) Autozone
carries the stuff. Soak all the other bolts before you try to remove
them too. (Let it soak in for a day or so if possible.)

  If you have a torch, you might want to (carefully!) heat up the bolt
and let it cool down a few times - maybe even shock cool it with some
water. (The idea is to let it expand and contract to try to break it
free.) If any of the bolt is sticking out of the hole, you can try
to weld something onto it - either a nut or a bar of steel to act as
a handle.

  I don't recall now exactly how the cab/bed mounts are set up, but
I suspect that it is probably free now (i.e. nothing holding it to the
frame). If that is the case, and if it is a bed mount that broke,
I would remove the rest and pull the bed completely off to give you
some breathing room, you may also be able to attack it from the top.
If its a cab mount, then that does complicate things.

  You can try drilling it and using an easy out. If you do that, use
the largest easy out you can, and go gently. Remember, the force you
applied already broke the bolt, and an easy out is much more brittle
than the bolt. If you break an easy out in there you will be drilling
forever! (Been there, done that, don't want the t-shirt to remind me
of that experience!) Easy outs should technically only be used when
you break a bolt while *tightening* it. But, the heat and PB Blaster
might loosen it up enough for the easy-out - just be careful!

   You can also try using a punch and a hammer to hit the bolt, to
try to shock it and break it free so that the easy out will work.

  Another method is to drill it out, and then keep increasing the
drill size until you drill out to the threads. AT that point, you
can try to pick the threads out, or drill it oversize and heli-coil
it back to the original size or tap new (larger) threads.

   What you can do really depends on the location of the bolt, how
much of it has broken off, what sort of access you have to it, what
is in the surrounding area, etc. Each "broken bolt" is like a
snowflake - no two quite the same. :-)

  Good luck with it - I hope this helps somewhat, let me know if I can
clarify anything or help any further!

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'