Starting Joy

From: Kyle Vanditmars (kylevan@telus.net)
Date: Mon Jan 13 2003 - 12:49:29 EST

AGH!!!!!!!!!

Ok, this is freaking great. The truck won't start with any kind of
"regularity," I've diagnosed it as the starter. When it doesn't start,
there's no solenoid click when key turned to start. All accessories work
fine. To get it home from work, I had my dad come down and turn the key
after I bashed the living crap out of the starter with a screwdriver handle.
:-) It cranks really well when it cranks, so the motor itself is fine,
plus, when I took it out, all contacts were tight and clean, obviously
leaving the solenoid as the culprit. After taking it out of the vehicle
this morning ("I've removed more starters before 9AM than most people do in
a lifetime!") I can see that the solenoid contacts inside the housing are
quite worn. The 'noid itself looks ok, no obvious wear marks, etc. Anyway,
I'm hoping I can just replace the contacts, since they look removable. I
guess I get to go to the parts store right after university.

Ah, the joys of owning an 11-year-old vehicle... :-|