Gen II 42RE gear indicator?

From: Jon (jonsdak@midmaine.com)
Date: Tue Jan 14 2003 - 00:20:21 EST

Hey list,
I've got a weird problem. My dad and I just put a Bulldog RS-82 Remote
Starter in my truck, and now, the tranny's gear indicator in the dash says
the truck's in reverse when it's really in park, drive when it's in neutral,
and so on. Now, the linkage is under the hood, and we didn't do anything
under there, it's all under the dash. My dad did notice a thin, orange wire
running outside the padding on the underside of the steering column, and I
dare say he tugged it a bit. That's all I can think of that may change the
indicator's position. Could that be it?
If not, what else may it be?
Thanks in advance,

--