Re: "heated" words over wood burning stove

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Jan 15 2003 - 11:13:19 EST

   Others have given some good advice; I especially like the one about
checking with the local FD. I suspect a lot of people in the area are
probably heating their garages with wood, so the FD should have an idea
about what works and what doesn't.

   In general, as long as the stove isn't throwing sparks, your only
real worry is to keep flammable fumes away from the stove. Since gas
fumes sink, they will drop, and travel along the floor. A small
ventilation fan, perhaps mounted low, or mounted high with a low duct
pickup might help to keep any fumes moving away from the stove. You
would need to create an air intake at the other side of the building,
perhaps by leaving the overhead door up a hair, or cracking a window.
Since you are heating with wood which does a pretty good job and is
a cheap source of energy, you can afford to not have an airtight
workspace.

   Of course, keeping the truck as far away from the stove as possible
would be a good idea (a good idea no matter what type of heat source
it is), and be careful when stocking it - wood tends to throw sparks,
so you might want to use some sort of portable barrier that you can
put in front of the stove whenever you open the door.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'