Re: "heated" words over wood burning stove

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Jan 15 2003 - 11:39:52 EST

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
> Others have given some good advice; I especially like the one about
> checking with the local FD. I suspect a lot of people in the area are
> probably heating their garages with wood, so the FD should have an idea
> about what works and what doesn't.

I just might ask them about it...

> In general, as long as the stove isn't throwing sparks, your only
> real worry is to keep flammable fumes away from the stove\

THe only thing I have in teh garage that I am worried about causing a
fire - is the gas and the gas tank on the 4x4... there is nothing else
in there right now that can emit any vapors or fumes. I assume
antifreeze is not flamable? That I do have pooled up on the floor.

Since gas
> fumes sink, they will drop, and travel along the floor. A small
> ventilation fan, perhaps mounted low, or mounted high with a low duct
> pickup might help to keep any fumes moving away from the stove. You
> would need to create an air intake at the other side of the building,
> perhaps by leaving the overhead door up a hair, or cracking a window.
> Since you are heating with wood which does a pretty good job and is
> a cheap source of energy, you can afford to not have an airtight
> workspace.

I can leave the garage door raised a few inches, yes - should have no
problem with that. Good idea.

> Of course, keeping the truck as far away from the stove as possible
> would be a good idea (a good idea no matter what type of heat source
> it is),

That is a differnt matter - - the stove is about 6-7 feet infront of the
(front end) of the truck. The truck is back as far away from the heater
as the garage will allow.

  and be careful when stocking it - wood tends to throw sparks,
> so you might want to use some sort of portable barrier that you can
> put in front of the stove whenever you open the door.

A spark proof fireplace barrier should do the trick - I've sen such
screens for sale before.

Thanks Jon.

Terrible Tom

"It's a living thing... It breathes, it eats, ...and it hates..."

Silver '89 Dakota Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x2 Silver '89 Dakota Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x4 w plow - (aka Granpa) Green/Silver '95 Jeep Cherokee, I-6 HO, Auto, 4 door, 4x4

AIM Screen name: SilverEightynine Yahoo Messenger: SilverEightynine

DML Profile URL: http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/LkxxVw49jp7dU/