RE: "heated" words over wood burning stove

From: Neil W. Bellenger (neil624b@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jan 15 2003 - 12:14:42 EST

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net
[mailto:owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net]On Behalf Of Terrible Tom
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 9:35 AM
To: dakota-truck-moderator@bent.twistedbits.net
Subject: DML: "heated" words over wood burning stove

Hey Tom,
As others have said, I wouldn't worry any regarding gas fumes from a sealed
system on a vehicle. This assumes that the conditions you mentioned don't
change, i.e. the cap stays on tight and there are no fuel leaks any where in
the system.

When I have to bite the bullet and due repairs in the garage in the winter,
I heat it with two 40,000 BTU kerosene heaters (salamander type).

Noisy? Yes.
Smell? A little. I crack a door a little for fresh air.

My biggest concern is how good is the stove? Are there cracks or gaps
anywhere?
What are the clearances around it? How close to the wall or any other stored
combustibles?
How close to the truck?
What are the clearances around the stovepipe all the way through the roof?
How clean is the pipe?
Is it a commercial, airtight stove or a 55-gallon drum that has a hole cut
in one side and a pipe sticking out of the top?

The act of draining the tank and storing or transferring the fuel presents
more of a fire hazard than leaving it in the tank.
In addition, condensation and corrosion are just waiting to start eating
away at the inside of the empty tank.

The best advice I can think of is to raise the stove off of the floor by at
least eighteen inches on a fireproof surface. This makes it more likely that
any combustible vapors will flow out of the building and be less likely to
be drawn into the fire.