Re: RE: "heated" words over wood burning stove

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Jan 15 2003 - 12:51:59 EST

Neil W. Bellenger wrote:

> My biggest concern is how good is the stove? Are there cracks or gaps
> anywhere?
> What are the clearances around it? How close to the wall or any other stored
> combustibles?
> How close to the truck?
> What are the clearances around the stovepipe all the way through the roof?
> How clean is the pipe?
> Is it a commercial, airtight stove or a 55-gallon drum that has a hole cut
> in one side and a pipe sticking out of the top?

Before I decided to reply to you Neil, I went out and got some specs.
Heres what the set up is:

 From the back of the stove to the wall is 20.5 inches (within specs)
Side clearences are in excess of 5 feet (within specs)
plate on heater states stove should be placed on a hard non flamable
surface... the garage floor is concrete and the heater is raised off the
floor 2.5 inches on 4 bricks (one at each corner)

The heater is 5 feet from the front bumper of my truck.

The garage was built around 1007 - its 28x28 feet outside dimensions.
Inside its divided into two sides - the side with the truck is insulated
and has sheetrock on the walls and ceiling. There is about 14-15 feet
width across and about 27 feet door to wall.

There are no stored combustables in the garage other than the gasoline
in the trucks tank. 3/4 full on a 21 gal tank

As for how clean the pipe is - I can't tell - but I would assume based
upon the maintainace that has been done in the rest of the property and
grounds - that the pipe is in good condition. The previous owner was
very good about keeping things maintained well - the house and grounds
etc are in near perfect condition.

The stove is a rectangular "hot blast" coal/wood burning furnace
manufactured by "United States Stove Company" - has an optional blower
that is not working now. Age of the stove is unknown. Its 3 feet tall,
22 inches wide and 2.5 feet deep. It looks to be in good condition with
no obvious cracks or gaps. There is some sign of overfiring (paint
burnt off) but other than that - looks good to me.

The "fire box" the part where the metal grate sits and the fire is built
upon - is about a foot to a foot and a half from the floor. The air
intake however is only a fwe inches off the floor - so I would assume
that if there were vapors on the floor - the could easily be sparked.

> The act of draining the tank and storing or transferring the fuel presents
> more of a fire hazard than leaving it in the tank.
> In addition, condensation and corrosion are just waiting to start eating
> away at the inside of the empty tank.
>
> The best advice I can think of is to raise the stove off of the floor by at
> least eighteen inches on a fireproof surface. This makes it more likely that
> any combustible vapors will flow out of the building and be less likely to
> be drawn into the fire.

Hmmm... I suppose I could pick up a few cinderblocks - cut the pipe down
- and raise the stove.

One thing to be noted - is the previus owner did not use the detatched
garage for
cars or trucks. He used it as a work shop.

Terrible Tom

"It's a living thing... It breathes, it eats, ...and it hates..."

Silver '89 Dakota Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x2 Silver '89 Dakota Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x4 w plow - (aka Granpa) Green/Silver '95 Jeep Cherokee, I-6 HO, Auto, 4 door, 4x4

AIM Screen name: SilverEightynine Yahoo Messenger: SilverEightynine

DML Profile URL: http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/LkxxVw49jp7dU/