Legally Increasing Towing Capacity

From: Robert Schultz (robert_schultz@remove.yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jan 15 2003 - 15:31:25 EST

I asked this on alt.autos.dodge.trucks and didn't get any replies. Which is
odd casue this always used to start flame wars.
-----------
Correct me if I'm wrong or miss anything. Every truck has a max trailer
weight and a max combined vehicle weight. Several factors go into
determining these numbers. For starters they'd be engine, axle, brakes,
tranny, suspension and wheelbase?

So in most trucks is it one of these that is the limiting factor? Or does
the manufacturer do things like spec softer suspension when the tranny isn't
up to the load? I would think they do as they sell trucks as a package with
a general idea of who they're marketing them to and it would make financial
sense to spec all parts to the minimum.

But, if you knew what parts of your truck were the problem, could they be
improved to add additional towing capacity? And then if you did this, who
would be able to certify that the truck was now capable of towing more
safely and within it's new limits?

What got me wondering about this was the specs on the Jeep Liberty. With the
3.7l engine and the auto the Max Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) is
10,100 lbs. From my manual the GCWR on my 2000 Dakota QC 5spd 4.7l is 9,200
lbs. With a 3.92 axle it gets up to 10,500 (both auto and manual). Only 400
lbs heavier than the Liberty with 25 less HP and 60 less ft/lbs of torque
and a wheelbase that is 27 in shorter. So what's the limiting factor in the
Dakota? From experience I'd say it's brakes, but then my current trailer
(due to be replaced) doesn't have brakes so I'm depending on the truck when
I shouldn't be. (As a side note, why do they sell trailers with 3500lb axles
with no brakes and then recommend that you have them when towing anything
over 2000lbs?)

On the Dakota with the 3.55 the automatic pulls 300lbs more than the manual
transmission. So then it leads me to the tranny. If I could beef up the
tranny and add trailer brakes, then who would be able to decide whether this
increases the GCWR?

Questions, questions, questions.

RS