huge replies wasting bandwidth

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (patrickandkelly@erols.com)
Date: Wed Jan 15 2003 - 23:29:54 EST

>Um - I'm not one to harp on the particulars of BBS posting. But I don't
>quite know how this happens.
>
>A member just posted (not faulting or blaming or scolding amyone at all)
>a message that came through on my Mozilla BBS reader - as nothing but a
>line of "re"s. I had no idea what the post was about....
>
>here's what I saw...

Shucks, I've just about given up on subject lines even though that's
what I scan when I read my digest.
I've just come to accept the fact if someone doesnt properly edit the
subject line, then I may not read
their post because the original subject may not be something I may be
interested at that time.
  My biggest complaint recently is the huge amount of excess material
included in replies to other posts,
which can be including as much as 3-5 recent posts that just keep going
on. You can reply to a post
without resending that last 10 copies of it.
  Yeah, I can understand the occasional error when someone replies to a
line in a digest and accidentally
includes the whole digest...
  Here's an example, not to pick on anyone, but this was 25% of one
digest...