Solid Front Axle design (was: Re: Untitled)

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sat Jan 18 2003 - 16:23:25 EST

biokiller@ameritech.net wrote:
: Jon-

: Go here http://swayaway.com/Suspension%20Frameset.htm This is all the
: math part of it.

   Thanks, Tom! Good info!

: As for a coilover set up. I put a 3 link on the front of my truck. You
: can have a 4 or 5 link to. but that's when you have to watch for binding.
: On a 3 link, the links stop the axle from rotating, and then you have a
: track bar that keeps the axle from moving from side to side. If you put
: a 4 or 5 link on, you could get ride of the track bar, and the upper
: links need t obe triangulated in so to stop axle movement from side to side.
: You can put the links pretty much anywhere, you just need to watch
: binding. It is best if you have a fork lift to check this out.

   I've been checking out your offroading and bumper pics - it looks
like you have a link on either side which ties into the frame, then
goes to the bottom of the axle on each side, with a sort of drag link
off the top of each bar (adjustable, I would guess?), that goes to
the top of the axle, to create a sort of "Y"? Looks like those two
links alone would keep the axle from rotating, stop it from moving
back and forth, and keep it from twisting at the same time. I like
how they extend back to almost the midpoint of the door - that should
allow a wide arc as the axle raises and drops to allow it to articulate
quite a bit and still keep the tire located nicely in relation to the
wheel well. That idea is also something I hadn't considered before.
(long links = big movement before binding)

   I haven't been able to figure out where your third link is though,
unless it is that bar I see connected near the passenger side shock,
that extends up towards the driver's side frame rail.. Some designs
I have come across in my research have a V or Y that ties into both
frame rails for the 3rd link so that is kind've what I was looking for.
I don't know a whole lot about this stuff yet, but I would guess that
the longer you make that 3rd link, the better your articulation can be?
Seems like you would want to locate one end, say on the passenger side
frame rail and the other end to the housing or axle on the driver's
side (or vice versa - I suppose you would want to link it on the
opposite side of the axle from the pumpkin). I assume you used some
sort of pivoting fixture on all of the link ends? I'm not exactly sure
what they are called, but coming from a farming background, such
fittings are common on the 3 point hitch of a tractor.

   Thanks for letting me mine your brain for info! :-)

  If I ever decide to do something like this, I might try to mock
it up in 1/8 or 1/16 scale first; that should allow me to physically
try a lot of different designs without spending much money.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'