Re: paint care questions

From: Gary Hedlin (ghedlin@theramp.net)
Date: Tue Jan 21 2003 - 03:12:20 EST

Well cowboy, if you truly want to do it right, you're going to need a few
tools, and a lot of time.

The reason why it took you so long to buff the spots out is because you were
using a low speed buffer. You NEED a high RPM buffer when your using
rubbing compound. The cheap low RPM buffers you find at wall mart are just
for waxing and polishing.

To start off, I would give the truck a good hand wash job. After you rinse
it, take it in a garage, but don't dry it. Then take a clay bar and go over
the whole truck. Then grab a good size bottle of 3M Perfect It and go over
the whole truck with a high RPM buffer with the lambs woll bonnet. After
that, if you see any spots or scratches, THEN use the 3M fine rubbing
compound on just that area, then go over the area with the perfect it agian

If you have a few paint chips or deep scratches, now is the time to fix
them. You can go to the dealer and buy some touch up paint or take your
paint code to a body shop that mixes their own paint and have them make you
a few ounces. Last may when I did this, it cost me about $15. Cover your
chip or scratch with the paint using a small hobby brush, let it dry for a
few hours, then wet sand the area with a 2000 grit paper. Wait an hour and
then go over the area with your 3M Perfect it.

Then all you need to do is wax it. Use a good wax, not the cheap stuff.
Some like mguires, some like eagle one wet look, use whatever you want.
Apply it one section at a time by hand using a terry cloth, then use a low
RPM buffer with a terry cloth bonnet to take it off.

I know this is a lot to do, and it will take you a good day to do. But
trust me, the rewards are well worth the labor.

Gary Hedlin

in article F142F1HkikieqXItMcx0000059b@hotmail.com, "Edward Falsename" at