Re: Solid Front Axle design

From: CML (cmlodermeier@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jan 21 2003 - 11:35:12 EST

I have been real interested in this thread as well!

Jon wrote:

>Tom Buban <biokiller@ameritech.net> wrote:
>
>: Jon-
>
>: This is still a 3 link. You go by whats on the axle.
>

> Good to know; thanks! :-)
>

>: As for lateral
>: movement, I have a track bar. This stop all lateral movement.
>: There isn't that much stress to the frame, but I did beef it up. I
>have
>: 1/4" plate on both sides to attach the jonny joint to.
>

> Is a track bar the same as a panhard bar? This would be a bar
>running from somewhere on the frame to the axle itself? If so, does
>the axle tend to move to one side as the suspension droops?

As Jon mentioned earlier, could a Y or V shaped link be used to control
lateral movement of the axle thereby eliminating the need for track
bar? I believe it would need to be the close to the same length as the
two drag links so Y or V shaped link would travel in the same arc as
the axle (already determined by the two drag links).

I understand that there are plenty of components in the way, so it may
be difficult to physically install this type of link. I would also
think a V shaped link would be better than a Y shaped link from a
bending standpoint. I'll try to draw a picture of my thoughts:

   || ||
   ||=========||
   || |\ /| ||
      | \ / |

or

   || ||
   ||========||
   || | /\ | ||
      |/ \|

Is my thinking flawed here, Tom?

> Oh, one other question I thought of while I'm bugging ya about
>it ;-) - what made you decide to go with a coil over spring as
>opposed to leaves? I found a page where a guy did a solid front
>axle swap on a Toyota and his reason for going with leaves was
>because he knew of a couple of coil over trucks and they had a
>lot of problems - something about the link angles needing to
>be perfect ? Said the one truck was undriveable on the highway
>over 35mph. I guess that's all a part of having the experience
>and knowhow of how to set up a suspension. His comments did
>get me a bit worried though, a coilover suspension seemed to
>be the way to go and easier to bolt in...
>

>- --
>
> -Jon-

=====
Chris