Trans problem: Does this sound expensive?

From: WP (puzlist@mn.rr.com)
Date: Thu Jan 23 2003 - 20:10:15 EST

Hello,

My 94 Dakota 4x4 has developed a shifting problem. I'm hoping someone
here can shed some light on whether or not it's something I can fix
myself. The 2-3 shift is delayed, and the engine often freewheels
during the shift, which can take ~3 seconds sometimes. Once it's in
3rd, it stays there, with no slippage. Overdrive engages just fine.
The 1-2 shift will freewheel for just a bit sometimes, but the 2-3 shift
is really bad.

Should I bother with a fluid change and adjust the bands, or is it too
late for that to help?

Thanks for any info.

Warren