Re: Trans problem: Does this sound expensive?

From: KenCo (ken@kencofish.com)
Date: Thu Jan 23 2003 - 22:47:46 EST

WP wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My 94 Dakota 4x4 has developed a shifting problem. I'm hoping someone
> here can shed some light on whether or not it's something I can fix
> myself. The 2-3 shift is delayed, and the engine often freewheels
> during the shift, which can take ~3 seconds sometimes. Once it's in
> 3rd, it stays there, with no slippage. Overdrive engages just fine.
> The 1-2 shift will freewheel for just a bit sometimes, but the 2-3 shift
> is really bad.
>
> Should I bother with a fluid change and adjust the bands, or is it too
> late for that to help?
>
> Thanks for any info.
>
> Warren

hmm, the ol' 2-3 shift problem that has been around since the 60's
usually caused by running trans. 1/2+ qt low for a while.

cheap solution:
pork the gas to get a higher shift point then let gas off
then give normal gas.

OR

do this at own risk!
add 1/3 pint Dot brake fluid to trans fluid.
this sometimes works well to help the O-rings
work better on the servo pistons or whatever
there called.

expensive solution: $$$$$
basicly its a $5 piece that requires a complete
rebuild to put in

--
http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold, 401-781-9642

Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the sending of this contaminant free message We do concede that a signicant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.