Re: Get an electric fan

From: andy levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jan 23 2003 - 22:30:51 EST

Ken Allgood wrote:
> Ok, so while I got the front end of the truck apart and the radiator out,
> I'm thinking of putting in an electric fan. I've heard mixed opinions, but
> I want to hear what yall think I should go with, or should avoid.

Several of us have gone back to the pulley-driven fan on our 5.2s. I
bought a BM150 from someone w/ a 2WD who couldn't keep his 5.2 cool w/
it - it didn't cut it on my 4x4 either. You need a lot of radiator
coverage and a lot of CFM to make it work. Dual fans and a
full-coverage shroud.

> Also,
> will I need the old fan shroud? My old one got tore up on the bottom, so I
> took it out... $40 for a new one, but if I need it, no prob. What does it
> take to install it (remember, I already have the radiator, fan shroud,
> bumper and condensor out).

If you're keeping the OEM fan, you don't NEED it but it will help pull
air through the radiator better instead of pulling the air "around" it.
   Just need the 4 mounting screws and take off the fan to put it on.

>One other
> quick question, on the radiator, what's the difference between standard and
> max cooling, and how can I tell which I have...... Does it matter if I
> switch from one to another???

It'll matter if you have the max and drop to the standard - you'll have
less cooling capability. Get the max cooling one - if you have that
now, even swap. If you have standard now, you've upgraded.

--
-andy

http://home.twcny.rr.com/andylevy/ --- andylevy@yahoo.com -------------------------------------------- modesty, n.: Being comfortable that others will discover your greatness --------------------------------------------