was '05 Dak on Buzz/ now Hemi question

From: Jeff Durling (jdurling@directvinternet.com)
Date: Thu Jan 23 2003 - 23:56:33 EST

I like the Hemi but my questions about it are this. It seems to use the same
block as the 4.7. Does this mean it's a shared plateform like the 318 and
360 were? Point being made where they shared heads and cams and the only
difference was the stroke. If that is the case what would stop someone from
either rebuilding the bottom end with the new crank and such to get the
longer stroke or even from someone, including Mopar Performance, from
releasing a kit to do this? I am no expert as I haven't read a whole lot
about the Hemi yet except an article that interviewed one of the desingers
of the new engine. In it he stated that the pistons really only have a
slight crown to them and they were not really needed in the design other
then to use to market the engine as a Hemi. If that's true it's kind of a
letdown then compared to the real Hemi pistons form days of old. That was a
domed piston.

Jeff Durling