Dodge Newbie Intro & Headliner

From: Mike (mclancey@ns.sympatico.ca)
Date: Fri Jan 24 2003 - 08:05:18 EST

Howdy List,

I just joined the list as I have acquired a "hand-me-down" 1988 (or 89) 2WD
Dakota SE and thought I should introduce myself. My name is Mike and I live
in the currently frozen saltbed of Eastern Canada. The Dak is currently in a
local shop getting the floor welded up so it'll pass yearly safety
inspection. My pop bought the truck last spring (at an auction) as a beater
and has since found that it is just taking up space so it was offered to me.
It is a little rough on the outside (not as bad as my '88 Toy 2WD which I'll
now be putting out to pasture) but it seems like the engine has been well
maintained and pulls strong. It has ~22,000 kms on the clock. I stuffed in a
new battery, new belts and adjusted the auto tranny (it's my first ever auto
and I think it's a 3 speed!) so the needle on the column matches the letters
... nit-picky, I know. I've got some "new" used tires that will fit it and
then I hope it is just cosmetic stuff it'll need.

First cosmetic job I want to do is to put in a new headliner. The current
one is shreaded and ripped and sagging so it touches your head while you're
driving ... very annoying. The insulating mat that is stuck to the roof
looks fine ... the liner seems to be the only thing that needs replacing ...
the p.o. tried using staples to hold it up ... unsuccessfully. Any
suggestions? I'd love to try myself but maybe it's a hassle that should be
left to a local interior shop or the like .... anyone done this before?

Nova Scotia Mike