Re: Freeze Plug

From: KenCo (ken@kencofish.com)
Date: Sat Jan 25 2003 - 00:35:08 EST

Gary Hedlin wrote:

> I went to install my engine block heater tonight and for the life of me I
> couldnt get the damn freeze plug out. Anyone have any suggestions?? I
> even took off the oil filter to have more room, but the damn thing wouldn't
> budge. I gave up after about 2 hours of trying. The instructions say to
> use a blunt object like a hammer or screwdriver.... how the f**k can u get
> one in there????
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Gary Hedlin

hehe, the ol' stuck freeze plug problem!

1st, no matter how long it drains there is
gonna be another 1/2-1 gal in block, sooooooo
get ready for a bath :(

a few ways, the idea is too make it distort
and flip out. ( yeah right ;)

hit punch in the center, plug sometimes falls
into the block, leave it there

drill center, then hit a heavy screwdriver
in drilled hole to slice it and free it up,
turn it and grab w/ pliers.

drill center, then get a long self tapping
bolt w/ wide washer and find a socket bigger
than the plug and put screw through drive end
of socket (like a ball joint tool/remover)
and pull it out

air chisel works best well but BE CAREFUL!!

--
http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold, 401-781-9642

Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the sending of this contaminant free message We do concede that a signicant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.