Re: off topic

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Jan 31 2003 - 14:18:38 EST

Mike Crumley wrote:

> Their internals shouldn't explode when you open them. Make sure the
> bottom of the case (the part with the holes in it) is down and open
> very slowly and carefully. I think you can even buy replacement cases
> and transfer the tape to a new case. Check at Wally-World or Rat
> Shack. I've done this before but, as always, your mileage may vary.
> Not responsible for damages caused by anyone actually trying this.

I have opened up and repaired VHS cassets a dozen times or more - for
various reasons. Usually due to a case getting dropped or even stepped
on. If you want- go to the store and buy an el-cheapo blank VHS casset
for 2 bucks and practice on it like a cadaver before real surgery. They
are very easy to work on.... just have to make sure all the little bits
and peices are back in place. There are no parts under tension/springs
in the tapes so you don't have to worry about the film quickly
unraveling on you like a roll of weed trimmer line.

  As mike said - I will repeat heh - not responcible if it gets fubared.
  Its not too terribly difficult but its not impossible to screw
somthing up - as long as the film is treated with kid gloves and not
unwound or whatever- it should be ok.

Terrible Tom

"It's a living thing... It breathes, it eats, ...and it hates..."

Silver '89 Dakota Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x2 Silver '89 Dakota Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x4 w plow - (aka Granpa) Green/Silver '95 Jeep Cherokee, I-6 HO, Auto, 4 door, 4x4

AIM Screen name: SilverEightynine Yahoo Messenger: SilverEightynine

DML Profile URL: http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/LkxxVw49jp7dU/