Re: New to the 5speed

From: Ed McCarrick (edmccarrick@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jan 31 2003 - 23:32:26 EST

--- "Woodruff, Jason P" <jason.p.woodruff@boeing.com>
wrote:
> Few things I notice (the 5spd that comes with the
> 4.7L),
> 1.) damn that first gear is low. At 10mph I'm at
> 2500rpms.

Yeah, but it sure doesn't take long to get to 30
though :-) I have no problem starting in second.
Barely have to blip the throttle.

> 2.) There's some sort of lock out from shifting into
> first at a speed about
> 12mph. I can understand why its there, but this
> requires me to get all the
> way down to 1200rpms in second gear before I can
> shift to 1st

Just gotta give the throttle a good stong blip before
you force 'er down into first. She will go but the
revs come way up. Sounds great with the Gibson cat
back though :-))

> 3.) The power lock and window controls do weird
> things if you don't set the
> brake. The starter won't engage if you don't have
> the clutch in (even in
> neutral).

Like everyone else has said, I don't know about the
windows but it won't go without the clutch depressed.

> What have you guys found the best way to do a drag
> start is?

I have found many more than 2500 rpms, before dumping
the clutch, makes nothing but a whole lota tire
squealing :-)

> And an on the side thing... What's the best/fastest
> way to get that
> cigarette smell out. *yeck*,

Never had a smoker's vehicle can't help ya there

Ed
2000 QC 4X4 4.7 5 speed 3.92 lsd