New to the 5speed

From: Woodruff, Jason P (jason.p.woodruff@boeing.com)
Date: Fri Jan 31 2003 - 19:10:07 EST

So I've got this truck now with the 5spd. I'd have to say, I'm doing quite
well considering I haven't driven a manual since I was 16. And even then I
was bad at it.

Few things I notice (the 5spd that comes with the 4.7L),
1.) damn that first gear is low. At 10mph I'm at 2500rpms.

2.) There's some sort of lock out from shifting into first at a speed about
12mph. I can understand why its there, but this requires me to get all the
way down to 1200rpms in second gear before I can shift to 1st (I'm thinking
about racing here, not daily driving which its fine for). Is there
something I can do about this?

3.) The power lock and window controls do weird things if you don't set the
brake. The starter won't engage if you don't have the clutch in (even in
neutral).

I don't remember what else right now. But even though I can't drive
efficiently yet, damn this thing is fast.

What have you guys found the best way to do a drag start is?

And an on the side thing... What's the best/fastest way to get that
cigarette smell out. *yeck*,

Jay W
505/287 Dakota