Re: RE: RE: Way OT: Shuttle Columbia breaks up on re-entry

From: raymond.irons@gm.com
Date: Tue Feb 04 2003 - 11:36:03 EST

<snip> there are 3 shuttles (with 1 in mothballs):

I agree with 3 shuttles, but according to the Kennedy Space Center Public
Affairs Office, 2, Atlantis scheduled to launch in March and Endeavour
scheduled to launch in May. Discovery is in a planned Orbiter Major
Modification Period.

I believe the Enterprise was built to see if the system would fly but never
had all the necessary equipment installed to make it a completely
operational Orbiter. I don't think it has any engines installed and it may
not have any or all of the protective heat tiles installed.

Ray Irons
Dover, DE