Re: Swapping tires at the dealer?

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Wed Feb 12 2003 - 23:05:59 EST

At 08:58 PM 2/12/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>Has anyone done this? I know the GY Wrangler RT/S coming on the new truck
>are pure crap, but the BFGs I just priced on TireRack.com are $160
>each! Has anyone ever had a dealer swap tires for them and then paid the
>difference? If so, how did you approach the dealer with the
>proposal? Roughly what would I be paying? Or should I look for a regular
>tire shop in town where I get the truck and have it done there?

Well, what the dealer does is always up to them. I don't see why they
couldn't -- seems that when they sell your trade-in to someone else, it
would work to their advantage to say it has "new tires" .... Unless, of
course, the buyer knew what crap the RT/S tires are.

I can't believe the BFGs have gone up that much. Right after I bought my
truck (April 2000), I looked into getting BFG ATs. The price then was
something like $96/tire. I was cheap and waited. When I did finally buy
them in December of 2001, the price had gone up to $117. BFG has always
been anal about pricing (they have minimum prices set -- any "authorized"
dealer can't sell below the BFG price. If they do, they lose their status
and the tires carry no warranty whatsoever from BFG.) I know the owner and
the manager of my tire shop pretty well, and they both said "I wish I could
sell them to you cheaper." They didn't charge me for installation or
anything, though, so I can't really complain. :)

You might want to check one or two other places, though. TireRack might be
jacking the price up, though it seems pretty unlikely. I know that they
charge more for PowerSlots than most other places.

I suppose the worst case is that you have to take the Badyears and then
sell them and put that money towards the BFGs...

-Bill

--
Bill Pitz <dakota@billpitz.com>
'00 Dakota CC SLT 4x4