Re: Re: Load Capacity

From: kenallgood@cox.net
Date: Mon Feb 24 2003 - 11:51:47 EST

)
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 11:51:42 -0500

The QC is not made to handle a lot of weight in the bed. I believe most of them are 1/4 - 1/2 ton payloads. It varies based on the engine size, gear ratio, and 4x4 or 4x2. Some of the early GenIII Dakotas were a full ton (I believe the only way to get that was with 5.2L, 3.55 gears, extended cab and 2wd.. like mine :-) ). Otherwise, most of 'em were right around 3/4 ton or maybe 1900lbs.

Actually, I just checked dodges website.. apparently, I was incorrect :-) Looks like most of them are around 1,500 payload.. Try this link:

http://www.dodge.com/dakota/index.html?context=homepage&type=top

and click on the towing guide in the bottom middle.. Choose Dakota, then your configuration. This is for 2003 models, but I think it'll probably be the same. How much was it sagging? It will start sagging a little when you get about 1/2 the payload in there (maybe an inch drop), and increase after that. When you reach the max, it'll probably sag a good bit, but shouldn't be almost on the ground (BAD!). I've towed probably over 1500lbs in the bed of my Dakota (97 CC, 5.2L SLT 3.55), and it barely sags. I love getting a payload of wet mulch and it not even drop 1", while Toyota compacts have the same load and are just about scrapping the ground.