Re: Mig Welders?

From: Michael Clark (dml@mikesdakota.com)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 22:11:14 EST

Gary! This sounds like me a short while back. Go to
my website and click on Off Road Pipe and you can see
the MIG setup I bought. On that page you will also see the
kind of results a newbie welder can expect with just a
little practice. I had never touched a welder before
this project. I spent a lot of time on the newsgroups
reading about welding and welders and decided a Mig
(Metal Inert Gas) was the kind that would serve my
purposes the best. I also bought an Oxygen/Acetelyne
torch. You can weld with the torch also but it's
easier and faster with the mig. Mainly my torch is
used to cut stuff. The Mig I bought wound up costing
me about $750 if I remember right, which included
everything including the cart and the large gas
bottle and some other stuff. There are cheaper
"glassless migs" which use flux core wire, but for
exhaust work I'd use a shielding gas since you will
get a much cleaner prettier weld.

I would suggest you do some research first. Hit the
newsgroups, check out the retail offerings, definitely
buy a good welding book (I picked up one called
Welder's Handbook by Richard Finch, great book covers
all types of welding) and find a local welding shop
and then just go in and talk to them to see what they
offer or recommend. I could yammer on and on about my
new hobby but I'll cut it off to conserve bandwidth.
 Drop me a line if you have any questions.

--Mike
www.mikesdakota.com