Re: DML Mig Welders?

From: rashort (rashort@swbell.net)
Date: Wed Feb 26 2003 - 11:17:56 EST

Most shops use oxy/acetlyene for exhaust, because it's easier to control
burnthrough and it's also easier to bend the rod and fit the torch into
tight places. Cheaper too. I've used a mig to weld many exhausts, but
you have to run the bead in strips. It's next to impossible to weld
continuously around a 360 degree pipe with a mig, which leaves more
possibilities for leaks, but as I said, it CAN be done. It just won't be
pretty. Most shops that I know of use migs to tack pieces, then they go
back and weld them oxy/acetylene.

As for the machine itself;
The cheaper little 120 volt units you see at home depot have flux core
wire instead of mixed gas, to shield the weld. That's not a problem most
of the time, but I just prefer a gas/wire rig, which are bigger, bulkier
and a lot more expensive.
Setting the wire speed and amperage is the key to good mig welding, but
you still have to melt 2 pieces of metal and fill it with molten wire,
without burning through or "surface welding". That's basic welding, no
matter what you use.

If I were you, I would enroll in an adult education welding class at
your local community college. You can get a good start on the basics of
welding there, which will put you WAY ahead in your experimentation. I
welded (sort of) on my own for almost 20 years before I went to a class,
but I learned a LOT there and I'm glad I did it.

Alan S.
1998 Dakota R/T RC DA

From: "Gary Hedlin" <ghedlin@theramp.net>
Subject: DML: Mig Welders?