Re: HELP ! I need opinions on this....

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Feb 27 2003 - 14:11:48 EST

Engelsman, Konnie wrote:

> Good Morning all,
>
> I could use your thoughts on a little situation I am having. My 8th
> Cylinder is misfiring. My personal mechanic took a look at this, and
> checked out all the simple reasons that might happen (spark plug, etc) and
> he feels it may be an injector or a fuel issue.
>
> I called my dealer to schedule this to be repaired, as I still have a
> warranty, and the response I got was this:
>
> " That might be caused by carbon buildup in the valves. If that's the case,
> it wouldn't be covered. It depends on how well you maintain & what kind of
> gas you are using. To fix that it's a few hundred. "
>
> First, let me state I have used 87 or better gas in every vehicle I ever
> owned, and I've never even heard of this before, never mind had a problem.
> I also change my oil & maintain my vehicle above & beyond the norm. I just
> had a maintenance done in July. My dak has 68K right now, and was running
> perfectly until about 2 weeks ago, when the idle started feeling very rough,
> and then a few days later I got the little SES dummy light. This is when I
> took it to be looked at by my guy.
>

> This sounds like a load of crap to me, and an easy way to try & rip off the
> average person. After all, it's not like I could have much proof to use in
> my defense, other than oil change receipts. I obviously need to get the Dak
> fixed but I wanted some suggestions / opinions on this to see if my hunch
> is right. This way if they try to pull a fast one on me I can go to
> another dealer, etc.
>
> I'd appreciate any feedback if anyone has any thoughts on this or if anyone
> has ever had this problem ??

Sounds like you already have a good grip on the situation.
I agree - sound like a dealer scheme. I took my truck in because of a
bad idle
one time (the ONLY time I ever took it to a dealer for repairs) - turned
out to be broken vaccume hoses - they didn't even fix them right. And
they wanted to replace my valve coveres (the gaskets were bad - 12 years
old - origonal gaskets) They said the valve coveres "looked warped". I
basically threw away $100 at the dealer so they could drive my truck in
and out of their garage.

Be firm - if what you suspect is wrong is covered under a warrenty - or
extended warrenty - tell them you want it checked out properly. Take it
to another dealer if you can. And threaten them with going to corperate
levels if you don't get the service you arr entitled to under warrenty.

9 times of out ten - I have learend unfortunatly - that the dealer will
try to screw you when they can. I almost bought a previously wrecked
Dodge Intrepid that a dealer was passing off as a low mileage trade in.
  Had I not spotted the overspray paint on the tires - I may auctually
have bought it. (the sales guy turned pale as all hell when I pointed
the over spray out to him) Tried desperatly to get me to test drive
another car heh - - off the lot I walked.

Terrible Tom

"It's a living thing... It breathes, it eats, ...and it hates..."

Silver '89 Dakota Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x2 Silver '89 Dakota Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x4 w plow - (aka Granpa) Green/Silver '95 Jeep Cherokee, I-6 HO, Auto, 4 door, 4x4

AIM Screen name: SilverEightynine Yahoo Messenger: SilverEightynine

DML Profile URL: http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/LkxxVw49jp7dU/