Re: SnowBear plow on your Dak?

From: David Henry (DML@HenryWeb.net)
Date: Thu Feb 27 2003 - 20:24:19 EST

Got one. For pictures, you can purchase a 2003 DML calendar and look ahead
to December. (Blatent unsolicited plug :)

The mount doesn't really stick out that much. as it is still recessed under
the bumper. The only thing bad about it would be nose diving while
off-roading, but I figured if it was a real big problem then I'd just pull
the mout off the truck when winter is over. It's fairly easy to mount on a
Gen2 Dak. Just pull off 2-3 bumper bracket bolts on each side the bracktes
for the plow in-between the frame and the bumper bracket. Required more
shoving and muttering not good things under my breath than anything really
technical to do.

I Generally like it pretty well, but I've never used a "real" plow to
compare it to. Although it says it doesn't work well to back drag snow,
I've found that it seems to be ok to get the 25' I need to get the vehicle
and plow in facing the normal direction. About the biggest downside is the
fact that you have to jump out of the truck to change the angle on the
blade. For me this isn't really a big deal a I just use it straing on and
make 3 overlapping passes down the drive and it works fairly well. The use
a winch to raise and lower the blade. After some research I found that the
winch is a superwinch that is rated to a 6000lb rolling load so that makes
it usefull to steal for other projects, but not very good for getting
un-stuck. To use it for another use near its rating requires re-wiring as
they limit current with a 60 amp breaker and only wire it with 10ga wire.
Acording to the winch manual it can draw 300-400 at full load.

You might want to look at the URL below if you don't buy a DML calendar :)
If you do, then there's a bouns picutre.

-- David Henry
94 CC Sport 4x4, 318, 5spd, Lifted BFG 33" MT, Plow
http://thehenrys.us/dakota