Re: Re: SnowBear plow on your Dak?

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Feb 27 2003 - 20:58:04 EST

David Henry wrote:
> Got one. For pictures, you can purchase a 2003 DML calendar and look ahead
> to December. (Blatent unsolicited plug :)

HEHEHE

> The mount doesn't really stick out that much. as it is still recessed under
> the bumper. The only thing bad about it would be nose diving while
> off-roading, but I figured if it was a real big problem then I'd just pull
> the mout off the truck when winter is over. It's fairly easy to mount on a
> Gen2 Dak. Just pull off 2-3 bumper bracket bolts on each side the bracktes
> for the plow in-between the frame and the bumper bracket. Required more
> shoving and muttering not good things under my breath than anything really
> technical to do.

Yeah I removed my Meyer plow mount (I call it "rigging") before I went
out to the BBQ last summer - you do NOT want to offroad with plow
rigging attatched to the front end - you will be straightening your
frame later if you try to. (No I'm not speaking from personal experiance)

> I Generally like it pretty well, but I've never used a "real" plow to
> compare it to. Although it says it doesn't work well to back drag snow,
> I've found that it seems to be ok to get the 25' I need to get the vehicle
> and plow in facing the normal direction. About the biggest downside is the
> fact that you have to jump out of the truck to change the angle on the
> blade.

The Meyers is my plow of choice, simpley becuse the big bright yellow
(or in my case rusted yellow) plow blade just is a classic snow plow
look. Meyers web site lists the poly blade as being just as heavy as
the steel blade - which I find a little hard to believe. Unless you are
going to do lots and driveways for cash during the winter - a manual
angle plow like that is fine for light personal duty.

I have the old style "permenent" meyers frame mount rigging. (rigging
mounts to truck frame - bumper mounts mounts out infront of the plow
rigging. With the hydrolic lift on the front - the entire gadget sticks
out a good foot and a half more than the normal front end would. Its
also more weight than the newer "EZ-mount" snow plows. I think what
killed my front suspension more than anything - was the yearly extra
weight that was placed on the front end, by way of the snow plow
rigging. As opposed to the auctual act of plowing or carrying the
blade. Regardless - plow work - as someone else on this list can attest
to - - heheh - will tear your truck apart if its not properly and
religiously maintained.

In the end - it may not be cost effective to try and maintain plow rigs.
   Even 2500 or 3500 HD trucks. AS in the long run - its going to fall
apart anyway. Best advice is to buy an already beat up truck that can
start, drive, and push snow. And replace it when it breaks down with
another one like it. Otherwise you'll eat up profits with maintiance.

Hmmmmm - - I think I got a little long winded with this post.....

> -- David Henry
> 94 CC Sport 4x4, 318, 5spd, Lifted BFG 33" MT, Plow
> http://thehenrys.us/dakota

Terrible Tom

"It's a living thing... It breathes, it eats, ...and it hates..."

Silver '89 Dakota Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x2 Silver '89 Dakota Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x4 w plow - (aka Granpa) Green/Silver '95 Jeep Cherokee, I-6 HO, Auto, 4 door, 4x4

AIM Screen name: SilverEightynine Yahoo Messenger: SilverEightynine

DML Profile URL: http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/LkxxVw49jp7dU/