Re: Hitch questions

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sun Mar 02 2003 - 16:45:09 EST

"Jason Bleazard" <jason.dml@bleazard.net> wrote:
[...]
: However... I found that there is a sticker on the hitch that talks about the
: hitch rating. I didn't previously know that the hitch was rated separately
: from the truck. It talks about whether it's weight distributing or weight
: carrying. Weight distributing says max weight 6500 lbs, tongue weight 750
: lbs. Weight carrying says 3500 / 350 lbs.

: First question: how do we tell if it's a weight distributing hitch? What's
: the difference?

   There isn't one. :-) "Weight distributing hitch" is actually a bit
of a misnomer, as the hitch itself isn't any different than a "weight
carrying hitch". What is different is that instead of using just a ball
on the receiver which goes into the hitch as a "weight carrying hitch"
does, a weight distributing receiver has a ball on top but also a couple
of torsion bars with chains at the end which connect to the tongue of the
trailer. So, the hitch itself is the same, but you can use it in either
"weight carrying" or "weight distributing" mode, depending on which
receiver you use.

  In order to use it in weight distributing mode, you need the extra weight
distributing gear, and the trailer needs to be set up to accept the
weight distributing system (that basically means it has a couple of
anchor points on the tongue for the chains to hook to). That's
something you should check with the RV manufacturer about - I would highly
recommend spending the extra money for the weight distributing system and
the extra cash to have the trailer set up for it (if it isn't already).
(Probably would cost you another $200 or so.)

   I just did some surfing to try to find a pic to explain it, and this
site seems to do a decent job:

  http://makeashorterlink.com/?O631218A3

   I don't have a weight distributing setup on any of my trailers, but
after seeing how well it works on Ed's monster travel trailer which he
pulls behind his QC, I'm a believer! :-) I will definitely be modifying
my enclosed car trailer to accept a weight distributing system in the
future.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'