Hitch questions (was: We're not allowed in the RV show)

From: Jason Bleazard (jason.dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Sun Mar 02 2003 - 15:57:14 EST

From: <jsm@hardynet.com>
Sent: Sunday, March 02, 2003 12:16 PM

> Jason, you may want to recheck your weight figures. Your stock hitch is
only
> rated at 500 pounds and according to the figures on the web site the dry
hitch
> weight on that trailer is 484 pounds. That only leaves you 16 pounds of
hitch
> weight or 160 of extra carry weight. I'd say you are going to be way
overweight
> with this trailer and the stock setup.

Damn you! (just kidding :-) Seriously, thanks for the heads up on that.
However, I am going to respectfully disagree with you, and let me explain
why. If you have proof to the contrary, let's discuss it. I'd rather be
disappointed than break something.

I did a bit more reading and checking. First, I'm not sure exactly what you
mean by "stock." We've got the factory option towing package, heavy-duty
package, and whatever other package we could find. I'm guessing that's what
you mean since it's factory (although it is an optional upgrade).

According to the owner's manual, our truck is rated to 700 lbs tongue weight
based on the engine, transmission, suspension and payload package. Yay for
us. This was what I was thinking when I was at the show, and I was more
concerned about the total trailer weight (rated at 4800 lbs). I think 700
lbs gives us enough margin.

However... I found that there is a sticker on the hitch that talks about the
hitch rating. I didn't previously know that the hitch was rated separately
from the truck. It talks about whether it's weight distributing or weight
carrying. Weight distributing says max weight 6500 lbs, tongue weight 750
lbs. Weight carrying says 3500 / 350 lbs.

First question: how do we tell if it's a weight distributing hitch? What's
the difference?

The owner's manual talks about the hitch ratings based on the classes. At
first I wasn't sure if the tow package came with a Class III or IV hitch.
However, Norah just dug out the 2001 sales brochure, and it clearly shows
that the tow package comes with a "Class IV platform hitch receiver."
Doesn't say anything about distributing. The owner's manual says a Class IV
hitch gives up to 6500 lbs of total trailer capacity (based on the hitch).

> Sure hope you don't plan on pulling that with the V6. <g>

Why not? My '95 is rated at 5100 lbs trailer weight with the V6, which is
actually a couple hundred higher than the QC. This is due to the axle
ratios (3.9:1 with the V6, 3.55:1 in the QC). That, plus the fact that the
'95 is significantly lighter than our QC makes me think it'll be just fine.
I'm not positive about the hitch, though. It's an aftermarket U-Haul model.
Looks just as beefy as the Chrysler hitch on the 2001, but IANAME (I am not
a mechanical engineer). I guess what I can do is have the dealer check it
out and see what they think. Granted, they might just think they need to
sell me an upgraded hitch, whether I actually need it or not :-P.

I did talk to one of the more technically oriented guys from the RV dealer
yesterday at the show, because I was a bit concerned about the weight. When
I told him we had the 4.7, he said it would be fine. Apparently he's had a
lot of people pull this trailer with 6-cyl Windstars, S-10 Blazers and the
like. My parents have one of those Blazers, and it's basically a glorified
station wagon. It's pretty gutless. Now, just because other people have
hooked the trailer up to a Blazer doesn't necessarily mean it's an entirely
safe thing to do. I'm well aware of this fact. But I figure that if they
can get away with a little piece of junk like that (safety margin or not),
we should be in good shape with our Real Trucks :-).

I'd appreciate anything that can be added to the discussion. I'm not really
experienced in this area, so I'm just going based on what I've read.
Thanks.

--
Jason Bleazard  http://www.bleazard.net  Toronto, Ontario

Didn't you read the disclaimer? http://www.they.com/disclaimer