Re: 4.7L oil change (humor?)

From: Jon (jons@laserdrive.com)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 14:09:37 EST

I crack the filter loose with at wrench. Then take a grocery (plastic) bag
and wrap it up around the sides of the filter. Loosen the filter; all the
stray oil will hopefully drain into the bag and not all over the place.

P.S. make sure your bag doesn't have any holes in it. This is from
experience.

--
Jon Slavic
2000 CC Intense Blue 4x4 4.7L V8

2003 Jeep Liberty Limited Bright Silver Metallic 4x4 3.7L V6 "Art DiRamio" <ADiRamio@opensolutions.com> wrote in message news:CD14A5E5DC40D611930E00508BDC9E4E47BECF@mail... > > First a question for the 4.7 Do It Yourself crowd - How do you get the oil > filter out without spilling all over the frame and plastic? I guess I need > to fab some sort of foil/cardboard side type thing to direct the inevitable > overflow out the hole and into the tub. > > Now the funny part? > > Well, I had some extra time this weekend, and the Dak was due for an oil > change. I figured what the heck. If the people working at Jiffy Lube can > do it... > > Got on the creeper to roll under the truck, and it broke! Threw it out and > crawled under and took out the drain plug, being careful to place it on the > shelf in clean paper towels, drained the oil, even dropped an extra quart > thru to clean any residual gunk out (thought I read that on a post somewhere > and it sounded like a good idea). So far so good. The tub I chose held all > the oil, didn't leak, I felt pretty good. I then had to find the oil > filter. After searching, there is a round removable "door" in the plastic > piece that runs from the bumper to a frame member. Took the door off and > saw that the filter didn't line up with the hole, and prayed I wasn't going > to take an oil bath. It wasn't too bad, as only a few ounces oozed down my > arm and into the crack where the frame member meets the plastic piece (this > should be fun to clean up...). Changed out the filter and mopped up as best > as I could. When putting back the drain plug, it is best NOT to drop it in > the used oil. A long crescent wrench will be helpful to remove it when it > falls in, despite your best efforts. > > Anyways, I felt good when it was done, and I know it won't take nearly as > long next time. > > Art DiRamio > '01 Patriot Blue QC Sport+ Auto HD 4X4 > 4.7L 3.55s Penda soft tonneau > '97 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1500 > > > > NOTICE: This e-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom > it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential > or otherwise exempt from disclosure. If the reader of this e-mail is not the > intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the > message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any > dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly > prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please > immediately notify us by replying to the original message at the listed > email address. Thank You.