RE: Re: Stock Air Hat vs. open element

From: RayB (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2003 - 19:16:20 EST

Ok, maybe I'd better clarify this discussion on stock vs. aftermarket air
cleaners. On most Gen II Daks the factory air cleaner looks similar to what
you'd find on earlier carbureted engines. It's a round canister sitting
directly on top of the TB with a round air filter, approx. 10" dia. and
about 2 1/4" tall. It has a rectangular snorkel connected to a plastic tube
extending to the radiator support. If that is replaced with an open element
air cleaner with no ducting to outside air you will lose horsepower because
the engine will be ingesting hot air. On Gen III Daks there is an air hat
connected by duct work to a remote filter box which is supposed to draw
cooler air from inside the fender. (I hope I got that part right since I
haven't seen one for quite awhile.) Anyway, I believe it's similar to the
stock setup on my 2K Grand Cherokee, 4.7, except mine had a small tube from
the air filter box to the grill. In the case of my GC and Gen III Daks, an
aftermarket intake tube and cone filter may indeed be an improvement if the
filter is shielded from underhood heat and located where it gets a direct
blast of outside air. I have a K&N FIPK with heat shield on my GC and it
has shown a small improvement in performance and fuel mileage. HTH.

RayB