Instrument Panel

From: Jayson Woodruff (woodrufj@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Mar 08 2003 - 19:20:43 EST

Okay, I thought I knew everything about the instrument panel, but I was
wrong.

I have two 2000 4.7L Daks. One is an auto, the other a manual. The
auto has a 7K tach in the instru panel, while the manual has the 6K
tach. I know down the line I want to get a mike leach flash in the
manual truck where I'll take the rev limiter above 6K, and I've got some
trick lighting in the 7K panel that I can't really undo. So I want the
7K panel in the manual truck.

So I tried swapping the two instru panels today. Despite the lack of a
gear indicator on the auto, it seemed to work fine (needles stayed
accurate). EXCEPT, the weird part. The odometer miles went with the
instru panel!. I thought for sure the panel was just fed the odo
reading from the computer. But I guess not. Since the two trucks are
40K miles apart, I can't just switch the miles. I'm going to take a
closer look at the panels tonigh on my work bench to see if I can swap
the gear indicator and odo module.

But if that doesn't work, I've heard of the dealers flashing in an
odometer reading when they change computers (although that contradicts
what I saw today). Has anyone actually had the dealer flash in an
odometer reading?

So if anyone has advice, I'd like to hear it.

Jay W
505/287 Dakota