Re: truck won't @%U&@%@ start after installing rockers

From: greg conner (dodgeboy93@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Mar 08 2003 - 19:51:11 EST

Ok..well to start with here is how to set the rockers. Dissconect the coil
wire and spin the engine over a few times withthe starter to pump up all the
lifters. Now either jumping the starter connector that runs to the positive
battery terminal or using a breaker bar on the harmonic damper nut spin the
motor over to tdc on numder one. You can look at the mark on the damper and
also shine a light into the sparkplug hole and look at the piston to make
sure its not 180deg out. Once you get TDC on cyl #1, to find the next TDC,
you need to rotate the engine another 45 degrees . As that approaches, check
the next cyl in the firing order which will close exhaust port. Once the
timing marks align you are at TDC on cyl #8. Tighten, then turn engine
another 45 degrees you'll be on cyl #4 TDC, tighten, rotate again 45 degrees
you'll be on #3, continue #6, #5, #7, and #2.

The way to set the rockers up you first need to find zero lash. To do this
tighten down the rocker till you can barely spin the push rod between your
fingers, now go another 1/2 to 3/4 or a turn and lock it down.

  If you think you have the rockers set right, check your basics first, take
out a plug and ground it, does it get spark? test your schrader valve, are
you getting fuel? Did ya put all the plug wires back in the same place?
  It may just be you dont have the rockers on tight enough that they arent
opening the valves, when you spin the motor over can you see them
compressing the valve springs?

Greg Conner
1996 RC
3.9 hybrid