RE: Drivers Side Brake Not Releasing..

From: RayB (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 10:06:51 EST

The solution to sticking calipers is actually easy and dirt cheap. The FSM
calls for lubricating the ramps the caliper slides on with multi-purpose
grease. However, that stuff melts and/or washes away until you have metal
to metal contact and rust. A better lubricant is anti-seize compound. A
good wire brushing of the contact areas and a very thin application of
anti-seize (which doesn't melt or wash away easily) will last a long time.
For a daily driver, once or twice a year should be sufficient. Just look at
them once in awhile.

No need to disconnect any brake lines, just remove the caliper, determine
the contact points between the brake pad ears and any other areas that move
during brake application and clean and lube them. If your caliper is
attached by two pins going through rubber bushings, clean the pins and lube
them with silicone grease. Do not over tighten or strip those pins and
you'll be good to go.

RayB