Re: Re: RE: Don't tell me I totally screwed up

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Mar 14 2003 - 12:04:32 EST

"Ken Allgood" <kenallgood@cox.net> wrote:

: hmmmmmm... I did figure out at least what I was doing wrong and what got
: me confused.....

: I was using the harmonic dampener to turn the engine, which I guess only
: turns the engine backwards..... Turn it the other way, and the harmonic
: dampener slips off the belt. So, I decided I'll just use the harmonic
: dampener to turn the engine (backwards) - Not sure I have anything to get to
: the crankshaft. I'll just align the engine to TDC on cylinder 1, and work
: myself backwards through the firing order...... Although, now that I think
: about is, would the harmonic dampener still in line with he engine (it's
: definitely not with the distributor).... hmmm

   Ken,

  I'm a bit confused, but from your description, it *sounds* like you are
turning one of the other pulleys and using the serpentine belt to rotate the
engine? The dampener is on the end of the crankshaft itself (the lowest
pulley). There should be a large bolt on the end, which you will need to
attach a socket to in order to rotate the engine.

  The only way the dampener could be out of "line" with the engine is
if the rubber connecting the two halves of the dampener together broke,
but in that case it would probably just fall apart.

  In order to spin the engine you will need to attach a long socket
wrench or a breaker bar via a socket to the large nut on the end of
the crank. You will most likely need to remove the fan to do this,
and you should remove the serpentine belt as well.

   Another alternative is to disconnect your coil wire and hook up a
"bump switch" to your starter solenoid. This is a device you can buy
for about $5 pretty much anywhere which has a button or a trigger on
it and a couple of alligator clips. You can engage the starter by
pressing the button, and this will move the engine in the proper
direction. However, its not as accurate as turning the motor by
hand.

   A few folks have suggested getting some professional help (umm,
for the truck, not yourself) ;-) and that is probably a good idea.
Since the truck is probably at your home and not drivable, you might
want to check to see if one of the techs at the local Dodge dealership
would be interested in coming out on their own time to lend a hand.
That would definitely be preferable to diving in deeper if you're not
sure about what you are doing.

  Granted, there is a first time for everything, but it is always a
good idea to have a basic theoretical idea about what you're doing and
why.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'