92 dak 318 v-8 automatic 46rh w/aircond

From: will (k_kodiak2@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Mar 15 2003 - 19:54:39 EST

Help! Any tranny people here?

Well my truck is almost dead. I just couldn't seem to
get the truck to accelerate even up the slightest
incline. Nothing over 45mph. Then when I hit a bigger
hill, there was this loud, hollow-sounding howl coming
from what I think was the tranny. I pulled over. And
the transmission engaged and drove in all gears, but
engine loped and stalled almost immediately. Towed
home. Tranny fluid nice color. Good oil. New map
sensor. No leaks. Prior to this everything worked fine
except, occasionally, tranny would not go into
reverse, no clunk or any noise. Had to toggle gear
selector to get reverse to engage. And sometimes truck
would rev but not go anywhere very fast. THen tranny
would shift normally.

I contacted APS transmissions. They have new trans for
1395. Is this about right? Should I get it rebuilt? IF
so, please give me idea about avg cost rebuild-vs-buy.
I live in cow-town near San Diego, CA.

Thank you. Will