Re: changing rotors?

From: Tubamirbls@aol.com
Date: Tue Mar 18 2003 - 15:06:38 EST

Hi Steve
     From what I've read on this List in the past 4yrs guys including those
with little auto mechanic experience have replaced brake system parts with,
for the most part, success.
     If I were you, I'd get the factory service manual and follow it to a T.
You didn't state how many miles you have on your existing brakes. One
critical component is obviously the rotors. When replacing the pads as you
are doing one normally checks the rotors to ensure they have no warpage.
Also check their thickness that it be within service manual range and the
surface that there be no cracks forming.
    Removal of the rotors will expose the two bearings on each front wheel.
These should be cleaned and repacked to recommendations. For best results,
take them to a garage where they have a tool that forces the new grease in
and around each roller. Just wiping tbe bearings with grease and/or putting
copious quantities in the cell where they reside does not "pack" them.
      Make certain you have the right tools for disassembly and that all
fasteners when you put it back together are torqued to svs man
specs------this is the brake system and your life, and that of your
passengers and the motoring public is riding on it. Good luck!

Paul Sahlin