92 dak 318 dead in driveway -- help!

From: will (k_kodiak2@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 11:52:05 EST

Truck dead in driveway. Situation: Truck idles in park
for a minute or two. Reasonably steady idle, except
just faintly in background can detect slight loping.
Then suddenly AIS starts whistling air like jet engine
and dark black stuff shoots out tailpipe, spattering
driveway. I shut truck off at this point. Start up
again same thing. Truck will not rev past
2000-2500rmp. If I try there's a loud moaning from
engine compartment and engine tries to die, sometimes
succeeding. High-pitch whistling from ais.

No leaks under truck. New egr, map, ais. I replaced
ais and egr valve/transducer just today because pintle
on old ais was stuck fully open at 1 1/4" and old egr
transducer had a melted lower tube that connects by
hose to lower egr valve body. Throttle body clean. ONe
funny thing...truck was starting like it had new
battery. Then went to start it again and nothing. No
lights. No buzzer. No radio. Battery appears dead. And
i had it fully charged at Autozone about 3 months ago.
Liquid inside @7/8 full. LIght corrosion on battery
tray. The only codes thrown are 12 and 51. Engine not
overheating according to gauge. But I did think that
the engine hoses on top to block felt too hot for only
running a couple of minutes at a time in the driveway.
Coolant level ok.

I tried backing it up and driving forward up the
driveway. Tranny engaged, engine revved a bit but no
power. Barely made it 20 feet on level ground. Engine
sounds "hollow", if that makes sense.

Any ideas anyone? I live in sticks about 10 miles from
any town and need to get on road. Neighbor is a
mechanic but not able to help right now. Thank you.

Will
92 Dak 318 2wd