Re: Newbie drag questions

From: Jayson Woodruff (woodrufj@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Mar 22 2003 - 02:43:59 EST

Green is too late. In an auto: Just (and I mean JUST) as the last amber
starts to glow.

I practiced some starts today. Got .670, .630, .62x, .7x (opps), .570,
.489 (red light). I was really aiming for .6. I'm in a manual and the
last start was as described above (a little too fast for a manual, but
should work for an auto.

Don't start to high on the revs. I don't know the 5.2 well, but
1500rpms should do. Resist the temptation to just stomp it on the line.
  Try to roll the gas pedal to the floor. If you do it right the truck
won't shift early and you won't wheel spin. If you can get away with it
leave the back window (or side wings) open and learn to hear tire
squewl. That won't help right away, but might steepen the learning curve.

Where you going? I'll be autoxing in Fontana tomorrow and Sunday.

Jay W
505/287 Dakota